The Aboriginal Sounds series enables securing showcase slots for talents emerging from Aboriginal communities, highlighting the art being created across Canada. It is built around showcases and professional development activities, mentoring sessions and targeted networking activities. This unique project among showcase events, initiated by Mundial Montréal has created a bridge to new audiences and new touring opportunities into the mainstream circuits.
“I appreciated learning more about the current trends and conversations Canadian presenters are having especially about ways to present and engage the indigenous community.”
– Jordana Phokompe, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, New York, United States
- First time Aboriginal artists are presented at Mundial Montréal to perform, with Élisapie and Digging Roots.
- The official programming focus introduces the Aboriginal Sounds series and features 8 groups from across Canada. Showcasing acts are: Tanya Tagaq, A Tribe Called Red, Samian, Leela Gilday, Shauit, Beatrice Deer, Eekwol and George Leach.
- The series includes mentorship sessions for aboriginal artists by targeted national and international buyers.
- Tanya Tagaq wins the Stingray Rising Stars Award.
- Aboriginal Sounds returns as an ongoing series in the Mundial Montréal program with 3 performers: Kinnie Starr, Martha Redbone and Cris Derksen.
- Showcasing acts are: Florent Vollant, Diyet, Solawa, and Akawui.
- As a complement to the series which presents market-ready artists, Mundial Montréal organises for the next generation of young Aboriginal talents a dedicated afternoon of workshops/mentorship, in collaboration with Musique Nomade. (Click here to watch the recap)
- Showcasing acts are: , Moe Clark, Iskwé, Logan Staats, and Nick Sherman.
- The 2016 edition of Aboriginal Sounds is proudly supported by Slaight Music in collaboration with FACTOR.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed!