Once again, Mundial Montreal will be back to the sunny South of France to represent world music from Canada and lead a delegation of Canadian professionals and artists at the 13th edition of Babel Med Music (March 16-18) as part of the collective initiative World Music De Chez Nous, in collaboration with Folquébec.
Often described as a smaller mediterranean version of WOMEX, Babel Med Music one of the most pleasant conferences to experience. Its hub is located in the heart of Marseille at marquee venue Dock des Suds. On top of its friendly vibe, the “phocaean city” is also home to refreshing anis flavoured pastis and delicious bouillabaise.
Babel is the perfect place to get business done create connections towards the European market. It brings together a solid network of French and Mediterranean touring circuits, 2000 professionals (from 25 countries and all 5 continents), 850 organisations and 160 journalists, and features 150 booths, 31 showcases, 13 workshops/panels, speed meetings and speed listening.
Join us in Marseille!
- Stand #5: our shared Canadian home base, strategically located in the international marketplace
- “Meet the Canadians”: Cocktail & Tasting (fresh fruits, maple whisky and more) – Every day at 4 p.m. RSVP here.
- Bridge Over Troubled Waters… In the Trump era, what are the new challenges? Comment aborder le marché nord-américain?The session will be providing tips & advices when touring on the other side of the pond. Prepare for North American market: get insights and practical nuances, concrete examples ; learn about existing networks ; immigration challenges ; distinctions but also cooperation between the gentle, polite and progressive country (Canada) that sits on top of the American giant (USA). Come prepared with questions!
↦ featuring Derek Andrews (Mundial Montréal, Artistic Director, Canada), Miriam Brenner (programmer & agent, Festival Mundial & Kōkako Music, The Netherlands & United States), Maïté Dhelin (LMD Productions, Touring Producer, France) et Bill Smith (Riot Artists, Agent, United States)
↦ SATURDAY, March 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. / Conference Room, J1
- Unveiling of the 2nd winner!
↦ THURSDAY, March 16 at 5 p.m. / Salon professionnel
CANADIAN SHOWCASING ARTISTS
- Betty Bonifassi (via the Transatlantic Bridge Prize) ↦ SATURDAY, March 18, 2017
- She is represented by
- Web links: Profil BABEL / Facebook
- Jowee Omicil ↦ THURSDAY, March 16 at 11:15 p.m. / Mirabeau Stage
THE CANADIAN DELEGATION
- The delegation currently includes the following professionals:
- Patrice Agbokou (Agent, PASA Musik, Québec)
- Michael Christophe (Agent, PASA Musik, Québec)
- Danielle Lefebvre (Agent, Agence Danielle Lefebvre, Québec)
- Robert Benaroya (Presenter, Caravan World Rhythms, Vancouver)
- Janie Renée (Artist, Ontario)
- Geneviève Nadeau (Manager, La Compagnie Du Nord, Folquébec, Québec)
- Déborah Cognet (Project Manager, Mundial Montréal, Québec)
- Derek Andrews (Artistic Director, Mundial Montréal, Ontario)
- Michael Owen (Manager, The Battle Of Santiago – Made with pencil crayons, Ontario)
- Carmen Ruiz (Manager, Gypsy Kumbia Orchestra)
- Fernand Ackey (ANIM / Akwaaba Productions, Ontario)
- Bill Smith (Agent, RIOT Artists, États-Unis)
- Birgit Bogner (Agent, AMERIX Artists, Québec – Germany)
- Yaovi Hoyi (Yao) (Manager, Intello-
Productions Inc, Ontario)
- Saliou Babou (commercial delegate, Canadian Embassy in France)
- Mireille Babin (Music Attachée, Délégation générale du Québec à Paris)
- Stephane Konopczynski (Cultural Affairs Director, Délégation générale du Québec à Paris)
Alain Bourget (Agent, 123 Go Productions, Québec)
Kelly Bado (Artist, Manitoba)
- Betty Bonifassi (Artist, Québec)
- Jowee Omicil (Artist, Québec)
- There is NO FEE to be part of the delegation for registered delegates, but you will have to fund or apply to support of your own trip expenses.
- Contact Déborah (deborah(at)mundialmontreal.com) if you want to join!
Even though it’s taking place in France, Babel Med does NOT mean language barriers! There is simultaneous interpreting, a bilingual program and website, and international business is conducted in English!
Thanks to our partners : Musicaction, SODEC, the Government of Canada, FACTOR, la Délégation générale du Québec à Paris, ANIM, Folquébec and Avalanche Prod.
What they said about Babel Med Music
I had the pleasure of attending the Babel Med conference in Marseilles, France twice in the last 5 years. I highly recommend this conference for world music presenters who are seeking high quality acts and gaining knowledge of some of the best world artists based in France/Europe. The conference is well attended by a vibrant mix of music programmers, festival directors, agents and managers from all over Europe and beyond, although mostly European focused with the emphasis on France. The venue is one of the best at the Docks des Suds. All the showcases are under one roof with high production values and easy maneuverability to get to all the shows. Also the showcases are attended by the public as a festival so the delegates get a real sense of a public concert from the showcasing artists. There is a VIP area set up in the venue specifically for delegates so networking in this area is very good as it’s the most focused area for meeting other delegates. I made lots of great artist discoveries as well as good contacts. I wouldn’t hesitate to return and hope to someday.– Fiona Black, Director of Programming, BlueShore Financial Centre for the Performing Arts, Capilano University, Vancouver (Canada)
My two trips to Babel Med were great experiences in a super location. More intimate than WOMEX, it still provided excellent networking opportunities. Among standout memories, I recall seeing the first public performance of what became Yemen Blues, among many other quality showcases. Marseille is a wonderful, multicultural milieu, making the event even more compelling.
– Alan Davis, Small World Music, Toronto (Canada)
The Pandyamonium Office spent the last year building Alejandra Ribera’s presence in France, having a showcase at Babel Med was a great way to present her to many delegates and industry members who had perhaps heard of her but had yet to witness the power of a live show. It helped solidify existing relationships and also spark numerous new ones.
-Sandy Pandya, Pandyamonium Management, Toronto (Canada)
Find out more about…
Babel Med Music: click here and here
Last year’s presence and activities: click here.
Last year’s Canadian participants: click here.
The Transatlantic Bridge Prize and Betty Bonifassi’s showcase: click here.