JOIN THE CANADIAN DELEGATION!
Is FAI for you? FOLK MUSIC is WORLD MUSIC!
Mundial Montreal will be “bringing the world” to the 29th edition of Folk Alliance International in Kansas City, Misouri, February 15-19, as part of the World Music De Chez Nous collective initiative, in collaboration with Folquébec.
- Themed stages:
- Blues and Traditional on Thursday
- Indigenous and Global Roots on Friday
- 12 Mundial alumni official showcases: Iskwé, Saltarello, Elage Diouf, Cécile Doo-Kingué, Mélisande [électrotrad], Digging Roots, Alysha Brilla, Lemon Bucket Orkestra, Las Cafeteras, Kobo Town, Anne Janelle and Alejandra Ribera!
- Québec Spotlight: Folquébec‘s official showcase featuring Saltarello, Sussex, Élage Diouf, NeeMA, Cécile Doo-Kingué and Melisande[électrotrad] ↦ FRIDAY at 6:15 p.m. / Liberty Stage
- Global Roots – ft. Derek Andrews (Mundial Montreal) & Ben Mandelson (WOMEX)
↦ SATURDAY at 10 a.m. / Pershing North / join the Facebook group!
- Reinterpreting Traditional Music – ft. Iskwé
↦ THURSDAY at 2:30 p.m. / Liberty
- Cultural Equity and Inclusivity – ft. Shoshona Kish (Digging Roots)
↦ THURSDAY at 10:30 a.m. / Liberty
- The Art of Adventurous Programming – ft. Doug Cox (Vancouver Island MusicFest)
↦ THURSDAY at 2:30 p.m. / Shawnee Mission
- Booking a Booking agent ft. Nicole Rochefort (AIM Agency)
↦ SATURDAY at 10:30 a.m. / Pershing South
↦ FRIDAY at 5 p.m. / Spotlight Québec #542 Music Floor
- Expo Hall: meet with Derek, Déborah & the Canadian world music community!
↦ Booth #307
- Indigenous Gathering
↦ SATURDAY 12 p.m.
- World Routes Network: private presenters meeting
If you are registered for FAI to represent world music artists from Canada and want to benefit from our collective booth (World Music de Chez Nous) to take meetings and distribute promotional material, REGISTER with us NOW! (registration is free but required for managing purposes).
There is NO FEE to be part of the delegation for registered delegates.
For details or to let us know you are considering going, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
About Folk Alliance International
“World music is folk music! I hope to see this deepen in years to come at FAI and have it be more synonymous with global folk traditions, and less so the confines of the singer-songwriter and “trad” roots of folk… all of which are important, but are simply one view of folk music.“
— Aengus Finnan, Executive Director, Folk Alliance International.
Folk Alliance International has become profoundly more diverse in the past 3 years, bringing diversity and inclusion in folk (18 countries have been represented in 2016).
It has a strong direction and an ambitious team. Their continued growth and refinement includes:
- Expanding internationally and synonymous with folk globally
- Progressive, relevant, diverse, inclusive, high-profile, innovative, creative, and fun!
Folk Alliance International believes that bringing greater diversity to the organization is challenging assumptions while revealing similarities. This change is exemplified in their 2015-16 Annual Report and their New Values Statement.
- 2018: 30th Anniversary February 14-18, 2018 Kansas City, MO, USA
- 2019: Montreal February 13-17, 2019 Montreal, QC, CAN