Is FAI for you? FOLK MUSIC IS WORLD MUSIC!
Mundial Montreal will be “bringing the world” to the 31st edition of Folk Alliance International in our OWN CITY Montréal, Québec, February 13-17, 2019.
This is your chance to participate in the world’s largest gathering of the folk music industry and community!
At its core, the annual conference is about community and careers, art and vocation. Apply and make meaningful connections with over 2,800 professionals from the international folk music community.
NEW in 2019! Stay tuned for upcoming official announcements & details!
This year’s FAI edition will host for the first-time:
- an Indigenous Music Summit (dedicated to / for / by Indigenous artists and Indigenous music industry professionals)
- an Ethnomusicology Summit (bringing together ethnomusicologists and artists and music pro’s integrating archival content in their artistic process)
- 3 Accelerators / day-long sessions (prior to FAI, on the Wednesday – additional fee required), 1 dedicated to developing “agents”, 1 “managers”, 1 for “artists entrepreneurs”, with seniors/ mentors.
Here is all the useful information you need to know:
- Submissions for an official showcase are open until August 15, 2018, 5 pm.
- Application fee:
- May 1-31 2018: 15 USD for FAI members and 30 USD for non-FAI members
- June 1-31 2018: 20 USD for FAI members and 40 USD for non-FAI members
- August 1- 15 2018 (by 5 pm): 25 USD for FAI members and 50 USD for non-FAI members
CLICK to submit your application
MESSAGE FROM TREASA LEVASSEUR
“Growing toward a more international profile every year, FAI is a great meeting to network, especially for the small ensemble and roots oriented artists.” – Derek Andrews, Artistic Director of Mundial Montreal.
NOTE: selected showcasing bands must register each band members / performing artists. Registration page and prices here.
Submission time o suggest a topic that you find interesting for a panel or a workshop is over.
PREVIOUS ARTISTS SELECTED TO SHOWCASE
Mundial alumni official showcases include:
- Elage Diouf
- Cécile Doo-Kingué
- Mélisande [électrotrad]
- Alysha Brilla
- Lemon Bucket Orkestra
- Las Cafeteras
- Kobo Town
- Anne Janelle
- Alejandra Ribera
- Dehli 2 Dublin
- Villalobos Brothers
- Vox Sambou
Mundial Indigenous alumni showcases include:
- Amanda Rheaume
- Digging Roots
- Martha Rebone
In 2018, 27% of showcased artists were Canadian!
Mundial @Folk Alliance 2017 – details here.
Mundial @Folk Alliance 2018 – details here.
ABOUT FOLK ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL
“World music is folk music! I hope to see this deepen in years to come at FAI and have it be more synonymous with global folk traditions, and less so the confines of the singer-songwriter and “trad” roots of folk… all of which are important, but are simply one view of folk music.“ – Aengus Finnan, Ex. Director, Folk Alliance International.
“Our first priority (out of 3) encompasses diversity, inclusion, and internationalism, especially as it relates to indigenous representation within our industry. Now more than ever as a community we need to look past the comfort of how we do business and look at the broader social impact and responsibility we have as connectors and curators. It starts by looking around the room every single day, at every show, every meeting, and checking in on and calling out how homogeneous it is. It’s not just about the optics or about how we look; it’s a deeper need to recognize the richness of ideas and perspectives that are missing. Like any ecosystem, without diversity, it is doomed to erode itself.” Source: https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2018/05/30/five-questions-%E2%80%A6-aengus-finnan
Folk Alliance International has become profoundly more diverse in the past 5 years, bringing diversity and inclusion in folk (35 countries have been represented in 2018).
Find attendees statistics in the 2018 edition report here! ( 2 855 attendees / 417 presenters)
It has a strong direction and an ambitious team. Their continued growth and refinement includes:
- Expanding internationally and synonymous with folk globally
- Progressive, relevant, diverse, inclusive, high-profile, innovative, creative, and fun!
Folk Alliance International believes that bringing greater diversity to the organization is challenging assumptions while revealing similarities. This change is exemplified in their 2015-16 Annual Report and their New Values Statement.
Click here to find out even more about FAI!
Want to take a look at what happened last year? (Recap Youtube video)