The Indigenous Sounds series enables securing showcase slots for talents emerging from Indigenous communities, highlighting the art being created across Canada. It is built around showcases and professional development activities, mentoring sessions and targeted networking activities. This unique project among showcase events, initiated by Mundial Montréal has created a bridge to new audiences and new touring opportunities into the mainstream circuits.
“I appreciated learning more about the current trends and conversations Canadian presenters are having especially about ways to present and engage the Indigenous community.”
– Jordana Phokompe, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, New York, United States
- Showcasing acts are Quantum Tangle, William Prince, Lacey Hill, Amanda Rheaume, and, for the first time, international artists Emily Wurramara (Australia) ((cancelled)), and Nive & the Deer Children (Greenland).
- The 2017 edition of Aboriginal Sounds is proudly supported by Slaight Music in collaboration with FACTOR and the Government of Canada.
- After a discussion with the advisory committee and internally, the series has been renamed Indigenous Sounds in order to reflect the importance of respecting self-determination and the self-identification of Indigenous people
- The advisory committee for 2017 is made up of Nadine St-Louis (Sacred Fire Productions/Centre Culturel Ashukan), Alan Greyeyes (Manitoba Music), Shoshona Kish (Digging Roots), and Andre Dudemaine (Montreal First People’s Festival).
- Showcasing acts are: Florent Vollant, Diyet, Solawa, and Akawui.
- As a complement to the series which presents market-ready artists, Mundial Montréal organises for the next generation of young Indigenous talents a dedicated afternoon of workshops/mentorship, in collaboration with Musique Nomade. (Click here to watch the recap)
- Aboriginal Sounds returns as an ongoing series in the Mundial Montréal program with 3 performers: Kinnie Starr, Martha Redbone and Cris Derksen.
- The official programming focus introduces the Aboriginal Sounds series and features 8 groups from across Canada. Showcasing acts are: Tanya Tagaq, A Tribe Called Red, Samian, Leela Gilday, Shauit, Beatrice Deer, Eekwol and George Leach.
- The series includes mentorship sessions for Indigenous artists by targeted national and international buyers.
- Tanya Tagaq wins the Stingray Rising Stars Award.
- First time Indigenous artists are presented at Mundial Montréal to perform, with Élisapie and Digging Roots.