Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain) will enjoy a major Canadian presence October 24-28! With one of the largest Canadian delegations to attend WOMEX growing, Mundial Montreal continues our role as a connector, pulling resources together for the community and strengthening the Canadian position in the global market.
This year, our mission at WOMEX is deeply rooted in advancing opportunities and developing connections between Indigenous artists, organizers and their peers around the world. As an extension of the Indigenous Sounds series, Mundial is thrilled to present 2 artists (2018 Polaris Prize-winner Jeremy Dutcher and Elisapie) in offWOMEX showcases, as WOMEX gives space to more Indigenous voices with ShoShona Kish (Digging Roots) receiving the WOMEX Professional Excellence Award, and a host of talks bring the Indigenous narrative into the spotlight.
offWOMEX Showcases (presented by Mundial Montreal)
Saturday, Oct. 27, Sala Gabriel Rodó
21:00 Jeremy Dutcher
|Jeremy Dutcher is a classically trained operatic tenor and composer who blends his Wolastoq First Nation roots into his music, forming a new sound that shifts between classical, traditional, and pop. Dutcher’s debut release, Wolastoqiyik Lintuwakonawa, involves the rearrangement of 110-year-old recordings from his community. “…if you lose the language, you lose an entirely distinct way of experiencing the world.”||Ambassador for Inuit culture, Elisapie represents the wild and rough beauty of the North. Her much-anticipated 3rd solo album (September 2018), The Ballad of the Runaway Girl, is the musical tale of an expatriate Inuk.|
For a 3rd year at WOMEX, Mundial will present a World Routes Network meeting, hosted by Derek Andrews. World Routes Network is an initiative created by Mundial whose mandate is to inform, represent, advocate and provide services to its members, composed of presenters from across Canada, plus North America interested in presenting world music. An additional private meeting will be taking place during the week.
- World Routes Network meeting (open to WOMEX participants)
- World Routes Network Private Meeting, by invite only
Additionally, Mundial will be bringing people together at 2 more points within the week. We will host 2 networking receptions –Meet the Canadians, as well as, the annual Folquebec & Mundial Montréal Reception:
- Meet the Canadians Reception with Mundial Montréal, the Embassy of Canada, Canada Council for the Arts, Music PEI, Musicaction, Folquebec & CINARS.
- Thursday, Oct. 25 @ 4pm, by invitation only
- Folquébec & Mundial Montréal Reception
- Friday, Oct. 26 @ 16:30-17:15, booths A64 & A65
Come visit Mundial Montreal at Booth A65!
[accordion][accordion-item title=”WOMEX PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE AWARD 2018 GIVEN TO SHOSHONA KISH! !” id=3 state=closed]
In a relatively short span of time, the Indigenous music scene has been developing in Canada and gaining traction internationally, as more and more people wake up to the need for justice and to listen to Indigenous voices.
This year, WOMEX is recognizing the hard work being done within the community by honoring ShoShona Kish of the band Digging Roots with their unique Professional Excellence award.
We wish to offer our most sincere congratulations to this amazing woman, and we will be truly happy to be there in person to see the award ceremony on Sunday Oct. 28.
[accordion-item title=”CANADA @ WOMEX 2018 – AT A GLANCE” id=4 state=closed]
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 25
- World Routes Network Meeting
- 11:45 – 12:30, Network Rm 2
- Daycase Stage (Sala Canarias)
- 13:00 – 14:00 Vishtén (PEI) Offical Showcase
- Meet the Canadians Reception
- 4pm-5:30pm, by invitation only
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26
- Mundial Montréal & Folquébec Cocktail
- booths A64 & A65
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27
- The Meet the Winner of the WOMEX 18 Professional Excellence Award
- 15:00 – 15:45, Conference Rm 1
- moderated by Aengus Finnan, Folk Alliance International
- offWOMEX Showcases, Sala Gabriel Rodó
- 21:00 Jeremy Dutcher (presented by Mundial Montreal)
- 22:30 Elisapie (presented by Mundial Montreal)
- 00:00 – 00:45 Mélisande [électrotrad] (presented by Folquebec)
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 28
- ShoShona Kish receives WOMEX 18 Professional Excellence Award for her role in the ongoing revolution uplifting indigenous communities and their culture, using the medium of music as an agent of change.
- 12:00-14:00 WOMEX Award Ceremony
This project is funded in part by FACTOR, Fondation Musicaction, the Government of Canada and Canada’s private radio broacasters.[/accordion]