INDEX > 1. About 2. Provenance 3. History 4. Quotes
Born out of Mundial Montreal’s Presenter Meetings, World Routes Network is a National Arts Service Organization whose mandate is to inform, represent, advocate and provide services to its members, composed of presenters from across Canada interested in developing world music.
Bringing together Canadian festivals, concert halls, clubs and presenter networks, World Routes Network‘s mission is twofold:
- Deepening its members’ practical knowledge by organizing Presenter Meetings providing guidance and professional assistance on how to effectively reach their objectives from both artistic and organizational standpoints, including block booking strategies and professional development strategies.
- Developing and coordinating curated networking activities happening at international contact events such as the ones listed below.
Touring and block-booking opportunities across Canada, from the East Coast to the West Coast, from North to South.
Iqualuit, Yellowknife, Whitehorse, Winnipeg, Calgary, Regina, Vancouver, Halifax, Moncton, Gaspé, Sudbury, Ottawa, Québec, Toronto, Sherbrooke, Charlottetown…
Canadian presenters (by Province) at the November 2017 meeting during Mundial Montréal:
History of meetings
- NATIONAL NETWORK MEETING — Ottawa, Canada — May 2016
- WESTERN ROOTS ARTISTIC DIRECTORS — Calgary, Canada — September-October 2016
- WOMEX — Santiago de Compostela, Spain — October 2016
- MUNDIAL MONTREAL — Montreal, Canada — November 2016
- APAP|NYC — New York City, United States — January 2017
- FOLK ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL — Kansas City, United States — February 2017
- NATIONAL NETWORK MEETING – Montreal, Canada, May 2017
- WESTERN ROOTS ARTISTIC DIRECTORS — Calgary, Canada — September 2017
- WOMEX — Katowice, Poland — October 2017
- MUNDIAL MONTREAL — Montreal, Canada — November 2017
- APAP|NYC — New York City, United States — January 2018
- FOLK ALLIANCE INTERNATIONAL — Kansas City, United States — February 2018
- ATLANTIC MUSIC EXPO – Praia, Cabo Verde, April 2018
- NATIONAL NETWORK MEETING — Ottawa, Canada — May 2018
What they said about WRN
“Valuable time together for sharing needs and practices”
— Alan Davis, Small World Music (Canada)
“A worthwhile, high-spirited, educational and cooperative experience unlike anything else available within the Industry in Canada and perhaps, anywhere else. A well-balanced mix between business, music and spirit.”
— Doug Cox, Vancouver Island Music Festival (Canada)
“A fun and warm meeting with colleagues that can ease the booking process.”
— Gabrielle Rémillard, Montreal Jazz Festival (Canada)
“It’s rare to have face-to-face time with such a large and diverse group of presenters. The opportunity to discuss artists of interest and booking plans for a specific period of time is extremely helpful in making plans for future seasons and identifying shared expenses such as travel, which is often a barrier when presenting larger bands or artists from abroad.”
— Chris Dearlove, National Arts Center (Canada)
With the support of